If you do not have health insurance and want to understand your options:
- The Office of the Health Insurance Commissioner has selected RIREACH as its Consumer Education and Assistance Program.
- RIREACH can help answer many of your health insurance questions
- If you need assistance, RIREACH will help you get what you need
- To contact RIREACH call 1-855-747-3224 (855-RIREACH) or go to their website at www.rireach.org.
You already have health insurance that you and/or your employer purchases and have questions:
- It is very important that you first contact your health insurance company. They are required by law to try to help you.
- Your health insurance plan consumer contact information should be on the back of your insurance card.
- All health insurance companies are required to have a complaint and appeals program to address your concerns and any denial of health care services
- If you are a provider or individual acting on behalf of another person, please follow the same procedures before contacting OHIC's Consumer Assistance Program.
- If after having contacted your insurance company and you still have concerns then you may contact the Rhode Island Insurance Resource, Education and Assistance Consumer Helpline (RIREACH). RIREACH has partnered with OHIC to better serve our consumers in finding their way through the complexities of private health insurance. RIREACH will let you know if and when you need to contact OHIC or other organizations.
- Contact RIREACH toll free at (855) 747-3224.
- If RIREACH is unable to resolve your issues or answer your questions, they will direct you to the appropriate state or federal agency for assistance. If necessary and with RIREACH's help, a complaint about a specific health insurance company can be filed directly with the OHIC.
Direct Pay - Individual Health Insurance - for those who need to obtain health insurance as an individual rather than a group plan purchased by an employer. The individual does not qualify for Medicare or Medicaid.
Pre-Existing Health Insurance Plan for RI - (external link to BCBSRI) for those who need comprehensive health benefits to uninsured Rhode Islanders with pre-existing medical conditions. This plan—which is funded through the federal Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act (PPACA)
Employer Based Insurance - for those who obtain health insurance through an employer or want to continue their employer coverage (cobra)
Long Term Care Insurance - is regulated by the RI Department of Business Regulation (DBR)Medicare - for those over 65 years of age or permanently disabled
RIte Care/Medicaid - for those who qualify for RI's Medical Assistance Program because of income, disability, or family status
TRICARE - for those who are active duty or retired uniformed service members
Additional Assistance - for those needing medical care with no insurance
Consumer Alerts - Consumer advisory and warnings
Contact Information - Insurers and State Agencies